You are here: : Running Virus Scan in Safe Mode
Running Virus Scan in Safe Mode
Thursday, March 13th, 2008
Virus Scanning in Safe Mode
If you have a virus you can not delete or if your system will not boot up correctly and you suspect a virus is the problem, a recommended solution is to start your computer in safe mode and run a virus scan. By running your computer in safe mode, non-essential processes do not start and non-core components are disabled. In other words, only the minimum necessary programs will load. Tough to remove viruses, spyware and other malware usually have no chance to run and disrupt your system and can more easily be removed.
**To run a virus scan in safe mode, you must have active anti virus software installed on your computer.
To run a virus scan in safe mode, follow these steps:
- If your computer is on, shut it down
- Power on your computer
- Immediately after you power on your computer, repeatedly press the [F8] key (about once per second)
- In the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, use the arrows to select Safe Mode and presss [Enter]
- Select your current operating system and press [Enter]
- Select the user you would like to login under (if applicable)
- When your system finishes booting, click the Start button on your task bar
- Move your cursor over All Programs and navigate to your anti virus program
- Click on your antiv virus program to run it and follow the anti virus program’s normal steps to run a virus scan
- After the virus scan is complete, Delete all detected viruses
- Close out of your anti virus software
- Restart your computer (it should start in normal mode)
Special Limited Time Offer: Download McAfee VirusScan Plus 2008 – Only $19.95!
McAfee VirusScan Plus provides proactive protection that helps you avoid online attacks and protects what you and your family value from hackers, identity thieves and other online dangers. It halts malicious activity before it can target your identity, put your children at risk, and threaten your online safety. McAfee VirusScan Plus integrates sophisticated security technologies to prevent multi-pronged attacks.
- Stops Viruses. Automatically blocks, cleans and removes viruses so you can surf the Web safely. Cleans files, emails, internet downloads and instant messaging attachments, and prevents the spread of viruses to co-workers, friends and family.
- Blocks Spyware. McAfee also blocks spyware before it can install on your computer, and removes existing spyware. Secure your identity and privacy – while also keeping your PC from getting clogged with unnecessary programs and files.
- Always On, Always Protecting. 24/7 virus and threat protection from McAfee® Avert® Labs continuously monitors worldwide virus activities and provides rapid anti-virus protection and removal solutions.
- Always Upgrading, Always Updating. Daily updates are installed automatically. When new versions are available, you get them automatically at no charge, ensuring that you always have up-to-date protection.
While you may have remained untouched in the past, in reality, without advanced security, you’re leaving everything right out in the open! So why risk exposing your credit card information, email address book or the general health of your PC for even one more day? Download the protection you need with McAfee VirusScan, an easy-to-use antivirus solution providing advanced protection from viruses, worms, Trojans and more.
To learn more about McAfee virus protection software, see McAfee Software.